Burning Information

Source: "Burning Is Not For Garbage" (pamphlet) by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Division of Forestry
What Can Be Burned?
Under certain circumstances the burning of vegetative materials may be allowed. These situations include the burning of diseased shade trees or brush, elimination of a fire hazard managing forest or wildlife habitat, or disposal of burnable building debris. Materials that can be burned are leaves, dry grass clippings, untreated/unpainted wood that contains no glues resins and other vegetative materials. A burning permit is required, unless the ground is snow covered, from the department of Natural Resources Forestry Division, or a designated fire warden.
What Cannot Be Burned?
State law does not permit the open burning of oils, rubber, plastics, chemically treated materials or other materials that produce excessive, or noxious smoke. This includes, but is not limited to, items such as tires, railroad ties, treated lumber, shingles, tar paper, insulation, composition or particle board, sheetrock, wiring, paint, or paint filters.
Burning Permit Regulations:
•    Permit needed for any open burning throughout the state when the ground is not snow-covered.
•    Can burn only during the time period specified on permit.
•    Must have permit with you while burning
•    Fire must be attended and kept under control at all times. You may receive a fine and are responsible for the fire suppression costs if allowed to get out of control.
•    Permit needed for a burner used during the day before legal hours of 6:00pm and 8:00am.
•    Permit needed for fire department training.
•    Permit fire must not be left smoldering.
•    Can receive fine for burning illegal materials or household waste.
•    Person must own land or have written permission from owner where burning is to be done.

No Burning Permit Needed For:   
•    When the ground has a snow cover of three inches or more surrounding the immediate area of the fire sufficient to keep the fire from spreading.
•    Campfires that are not larger than three feet in diameter and have the ground cleaned of combustible materials for five feet around the base of the fire.
•    A fire contained in a charcoal grill, camp stove, or other device for the purpose of cooking or heating.
•    A burner used between the hours of 6:00pm and 8:00am for dried vegetative material only.

To Obtain a Burning Permit: 
To obtain a burning permit, contact the Perham Fire Department at 218-346-9803, your local township clerk, or the DNR Forestry Office in Detroit Lakes at 218-847-1596. 
Official Website of the City of Perham, MinnesotaPO Box 130 125 Second Ave NE Perham, MN 56573218-346-4455 (phone) 218-346-9364 (fax)24 Hour Public Works Utility Emergencies: 1-888-262-3837The City of Perham is an equal opportunity provider and employer.